Stoney Creek Garden Club & Horticultural Society

 
HOME       MEETINGS       ABOUT US       NEWS & EVENTS       JOIN US       CONTACTS       
       
 
 
About Us
 
Meetings
 
 
Board of Directors
 
 
Programs
 
 
 
View District Site
 
 
View OHA Site
 
 

Home > About Us

About Us

  

The first meeting of the Stoney Creek Horticultural Society was held on April 12, 1926 at Cheyne Presbyterian Church. The first flower show took place in September 1926 with five classes of plants.

 

   The Society was inactive from 1940 until 1955. On June 20, 1955 an organizational meeting was held. Mr. R. F. Gunnell, Horticultural District Director conducted the election of Officers and Directors. Mr. E.A. Mouncey was President. Over the years, general meetings have been held in various places: Cheyne Presbyterian Church, BarDon Banquet Room; Village Council Room, the United Church; Salvation Army; the Church of Our Saviour the Redeemer and our present meeting location, the Royal Canadian Legion Hall, Battlefield Branch 622, 12 King Street East.

 

   The Society was instrumental in having the geranium officially adopted as the civic flower of the Town of Stoney Creek in 1966. The geranium is considered to be a flower known and grown by the pioneers of our area. The geranium (pelargonium) was used in the Stoney Creek Garden Club logo until 2019 when the members agreed that a native flower should be used in the logo.  The flower chosen was the native red trillium.

 

   One of the goals of the Society is to help beautify the Community. Projects have  included: caring for the Soldiers Memorial Plot; planting flowers along King Street; plantings of large beds of annuals at Community Park, Scout Hall, Library and Community Centre; and donating a park bench to the Bob Kemp Hospice Society.

 

    In June of 2008, the Club helped create an Iris Garden at the Dr. Bob Kemp Centre for Hospice Palliative Care.

 

    In 2010, the renovation of the Legion's two gardens was completed under the guidance of Garden Club member Mike Iskich. See more pictures of the Legion Garden. Beginning in 2012, the Club began  maintaining the garden at Saltfleet Library.
 

 

Legion Garden Picture

 

 

 

  In 2009, the Society changed its name to the Stoney Creek Garden Club and Horticultural Society. It is hoped that an abridged form of the name i.e. the “Stoney Creek Garden Club” will be more appealing to new gardeners.

 

 

  Presently the Society awards a bursary to a Saltfleet high school gradute from their horticultural program. An annual donation is made to  Hamilton Blooms . Past donations have included funds towards the Erland Lee Home and Battlefield Park as well as Trillium Awards for the City of Hamilton.

 

The club also purchases,annually,  2 memberships to the Royal Botanical Gardens, ( entrance fee for 4 and parking pass). these are available to all members.

Last Updated: 2019-02-04