District 9 Fall General Meeting
September 28, 2018
Rockway Glen Winery
Speaker: Darrell Bley, Curator of Woody Plants,
Niagara Parks Commission Botanical Gardens and School of Horticulture
Topic: Climate Change and Horticultural Adaptation
Schedule: Click Here
Menu: Click Here
Poster and Map: Click Here
Guest: Rose ODell, president Ontario Horticultural Association
Host Society: Pelham Garden Club (celebrating their 90th anniversary)
From District 9 Director Marg Tanaszi
Hello District 9 Societies:
Here is the schedule for this year’s OHA District 9 Fall Forum and Presidents’ Meeting on Friday, September 28.
The host is the Pelham Garden Club. This year is their 90th anniversary, so we can celebrate with them. Also, our special guest will be Rose Odell, (newly) past president of the Ontario Horticultural Association.
This year is one of several Firsts:
· A combined business and Presidents’ Meeting to save busy members some time at OHA meetings. Members staying for the morning only will be updated on OHA initiatives, meet others in the district, and take advantage of hearing our great speaker, Darrell Bley, talk about climate change from a horticulturalist’s perspective. The Presidents’ Meeting will follow lunch.
· A winery as the host site. Rockway offers appeal to gardeners with spectacular views from the convention/dining room, excellent food, a wine boutique and golf specials.
· An entry ticket at the door for only $15.00 (to cover venue rental and speaker). Tasty morning snacks will be available, but lunch is not provided.
· No flower show because of space restrictions, but there will be a great photography competition, and of course, great prizes in the society and fund-raiser draws.
• Purchase a reasonable, delicious lunch at the Rockway restaurant. The luncheon menu is attached. Please confirm your lunch attendance by Sept. 20 to Barb Jaques at email@example.com.
• Alternatively, enjoy great restaurants in nearby Jordan and Vineland such as Just Cooking, On the Twenty, Lake House Restaurant, Sheila’s Diner, Grand Oak Culinary Market, De La Terre Bakery, Jordan House Tavern plus many more.
• Or bring your own lunch and enjoy it outdoors only in Rockway’s beautiful setting; no benches available.
• Try Rockway Golf at a special rate of $35 for 9 holes with a cart.
• Shop Jordan or Vineland boutiques.
• Visit Rockway’s wine boutique to taste and take home some wines or check out other local wineries.
This is an important time for the OHA, facing rapid cultural changes in the society around us. We will identify and address some of these challenges—both internal and external—in the Presidents’ Meeting. For this reason, societies are asked to have at least one executive member, preferably more, attend this president’s discussion.
We look forward to a great day, and hope that many of you can join us.
Director, OHA District 9