WELCOME TO ORO-MEDONTE HORTICULTURAL SOCIETY
In 2017, OMHS is celebrating 50 years of “growing together”
- sharing gardens, knowledge, friendships, pride and fun !
To ask a Master Gardener a question please click on the image above.
We are a very friendly gardening group that welcomes visitors to our open meetings. There is no charge if you wish to check us out.
Our speakers are informative and our refreshments home made.
Oro-Medonte is located just north of Barrie and before Orillia. We meet at the Guthrie arena on the north side of Hwy 11 at the 4th line.
2017 Meeting Programme:
Next Meeting: Monday October 16, 2017 Start Time: 7:30 pm
Topic: “Outside In”
- A Floral Design program focused on bringing the beauty of our gardens into our homes over the winter.
- Presented by Velta Bush, CAFA; Patricia Patrick, AIFD, CAFA; and Inta Taurins, AIFD, CAFA. AIFA - American Institute of Floral Design. CAFA - Canadian Academy of Floral Design
2017 Complete Programme - Click Here
Society Photo Contest
Don't forget that our photo contest is still in full swing and we would love to see your pictures. You could be this years winner. Everyone loves to see the photos that our members proudly take.
You still have time to take pictures of your wonderful late flowering plants and fall colours that trees and bushes bring to our lives.
Photos are to be taken by you between November 1, 2016 and October 16th 2017. We even have a youth category, so get those kids and grandkids out there taking pictures. All of the Classes that you can enter are listed on Page 30 in your Yearbook.
Here are some more tips for taking that perfect winning shot:
- SEE THE LIGHT – Before you raise your camera, see where the light is coming from, and use it to your advantage.
- READ THE MANUAL – The best way to know what to do with your camera is to actually read the manual. So many people miss this step, every camera is different, you’ll get to know all the funky things it's capable of doing.
- WACTH THE LIGHT – never shoot with the sun directly behind you. It creates, burn spots or flat light on the subject. If you shoot with the light source to the side or behind the subject, you are able to shape with the light, creating a more interesting photo.
- KEEP IT SIMPLE – Don't try to pack too many elements into your image. If you just include one or two points of interest, your audience and the judges won't be confused about where they should be looking or at what they should be looking.
- PHOTOGRAPHIC COMMUNITY – Join a photo club, Orillia has a very good one. You'll be part of an active group that offers feedback on how well you are doing. You can learn new things to help you improve your technique, and you might even make some new photographic buddies. The Orillia Camera Club is at orilliacameraclub.ca.
Come and join in the fun and enter your photographs in the 2017 competition. We will have entry tags for your photographs at the meeting.
Please see Elaine Marr to pick up your entry forms and to ask any questions that you may have about the contest.
Other Oro-Medonte Programmes
Flower Shows Plant Sale
Civic Beautification Garden Tour
Youth Programmes Photo Contest
Passionate Gardener Lives Here Landscape Appreciation
Join or renew your membership to ensure you receive society news and notification about upcoming meetings and events.
2017 membership fees are $10 per person or $15 per family (family is defined as two individuals residing at the same address). Click on JOIN US tab to reach the membership information page.