The Grimsby Garden Club
AGM 2017 Grimsby Garden Club Report, Wendy Frank, President
Thank you to all who participated in the Grimsby Garden Club for 2017. We had a great year with many activities and undertakings to help make our Grimsby Garden Club better than ever. We are very appreciative of all of our volunteers – those on the board who put in many hours and those of you who volunteer on committees and finally those of you come out to participate in our many activities.
Highlights from the Year
- One of our most popular activities is the monthly meeting – and we had a well-attended series of interesting and informative speakers.
- Our Plant Sale was the most successful one we have ever had. Thanks to all who helped with all aspects of the sale.
- We held another successful Floral Design Course at the Pump House this year with 12 in attendance
- Our new Downtown hanging floral baskets were augmented thanks to a large donation from LJM Developments. Our Elm Street beds were well maintained throughout the summer months.
- Our social media including our website, Face Book page and Mail Chimp blog continues to grow.
- We promoted the GGC at the Grimsby Home & Garden Show, The GGC Annual Plant Sale, the Rotary Art Show, and with our booth at the Grimsby Farmers Market.
- The GGC was represented at the OHA Convention in July in Toronto, and at the OHA meeting on October.
- Our annual Off-Site Tour was at the Vineland Research Center was very well attended, and included several guided tours of their research areas.
- We awarded a Garden of the Month throughout the summer and early fall.
- The GGC awarded $500 in scholarships to students from Blessed Trinity and Grimsby Secondary School who are entering horticultural, landscape architecture or environmental programs.
- GGC Board Members were invited to Lincoln Park Retirement Community to help design their garden beds.
- Our Bi-Annual GGC Garden Tour was extremely successful. l We had excellent feedback from visitors and the addition of music in the gardens was much appreciated by attendees. Thanks to our sponsors of the Garden Tour, especially Cole’s our gold sponsor.
- We held our third Volunteer Appreciation Night in August.
- We co-presented the Trillium Awards with the Town of Grimsby. The awards were once again by nomination with over 90 nominations. Judging criteria were based on the best practices of the Hamilton Trillium Program and shared with the public on our website. The award ceremony was well attended.
- GGC donated a Christmas tree to the Rotary Fantasy of Trees, provided the decorations and decorated the tree.
- The GGC trimmed the Christmas tree in the Town Hall again this year.
2018 Season Program Available for download
We are pleased to announce our 2018 program. You can see if HERE
Next Meeting Monday, November 27th, 2017
6:00 pm -Pot luck appetizers and Desserts
7:30 pm - Annual General Meeting & Speaker
Speaker: Mark Peck
Topic: Birds in Your Backyard
Mark Peck has been an ornithology technician at the Royal Ontario Museum (ROM) since 1983. His career at the ROM first began when he worked as a camp cook during ROM faunal surveys in northern Ontario. His duties include; program and exhibit development, collections management, fieldwork and assisting in research components in Ornithology, Department of Natural History. In addition, he is the ROM Liaison for the Ontario Bird Records Committee, a consultant for Ontario Birds/Ontario Field Ornithologists and the Program Director for the Toronto Ornithological Club. Mark is an avid wildlife photographer and a firm believer in giving back to nature.