Grafton Horticultural Society
Grafton Green Thumbs
Our Horticultural Society was renamed in 2002 to the Grafton Horticultural Society due to the amalgamation of the Alnwick and Haldimand Townships. The original society was organized and named South Haldimand Horticultural Society on April 9, 1925 and then renamed in 1996 to the Haldimand Township Horticultural Society. We have rebranded ourselves to Grafton Green Thumbs. The first President was William Heenan, a local greenhouse operator, and Mrs. J.C. Hutchison the first Secretary. The first flower show was held on August 29, 1925.
Grafton Green Thumbs is dedicated to improving the beauty of the Grafton area. Members maintain four gardens in the community � Wicklow Memorial Park, Haldimand Court Apartments, Town Hall and Grafton Heritage Park. In 2008 the Society created the Grafton Heritage Park in the centre of the village which includes native, rock, woodland and scented areas as well as historical information.
We have a youth programme which has been active since 1969. They currently meet at Grafton Public School in the greenhouse and are fortunate to have been given an area on the school grounds for a garden. This garden has recently been upgraded and includes seven raised beds where vegetables are grown and donated to Fare Share in Cobourg.
Our meetings take place the 2nd Tuesday of the month at St. Andrew's United Church, 137 Old Danforth Road, Grafton at 7:00 p.m. unless otherwise noted. We have interesting speakers, flower shows and a plant sale.
Please join us at our monthly meetings and special events.
Michelle & Ralf Busse, Co-Presidents