Eight Essential Herbs Recipes
by Talia Dyer
Dandy Root Chai Tea
1 cup roasted and lightly ground Dandelion root
2 Tbsp. dried Ginger root (small pieces)
10 Cinnamon sticks, crushed
1 Tbsp. whole Cloves
½ cup dried Fennel seeds
2 Tbsp. dried, decorticated (no pods) Cardamom seeds
Add 1 Tablespoon herb mix to each cup of water.
Bring to a boil, serve as is or with milk or milk substitute.
1/2 pound nettles
4 large garlic cloves, smashed
1/2 cup toasted pine nuts (or sunflower seeds)
1/2 teaspoon salt
Freshly ground pepper
1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
1 1/4 cups extra virgin olive oil
1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese (optional)
Calming Herbal Tea
1 part Chamomile
1 part Skullcap
1 part Spearmint
1/2 part Lavender
Use 1 Tbsp of herb per 1 cup hot water.
Cover and steep 15-20 minutes. Strain and enjoy.
Sunburn Relief Spray
1 part dried calendula flowers
1 part dried marshmallow root
1 ounce aloe vera gel
12 drops lavender essential oil
- Put equal parts dried calendula flowers and marshmallow root in a small jar.
- Pour cold water over the herbs, filling the jar 1 inch from the top. Allow sitting at room temperature for 8-12 hours.
- Strain herbs and compost.
- Combine 1 ounce of herbal infusion with 1-ounce organic aloe gel in a 2-ounce spray bottle.
- Add 12 drops of lavender essential oil and shake well to mix.
- Spray on the sunburned skin as often as needed.
From the Herbal Academy
1 tablespoon fresh lavender buds (on the stem or off) or 1 teaspoon dried lavender buds
- Add lavender to 1 cup of sugar.
Thyme Simpler Syrup
Bring 1 cup of water, 1 cup of sugar and a handful of fresh thyme leaves to a boil. Simmer for 10 minutes. Let cool & strain. Add to water or your favourite cocktail!
- May add also a layer with onion and honey (great for winter time!)
The Original Marshmallow
The original marshmallow recipe!
4 tbsp. marshmallow roots
28 tbsp. Sugar
20 tbsp. gum tragacanth (or gum arabic)
2 cups water
1-2 egg whites, beaten
"Make a tea of marshmallow roots by simmering in a pint of water for twenty to thirty minutes. Add additional water if it simmers down. Strain out the roots. Heat the gum and marshmallow decoction (water) in a double boiler until they are dissolved together. Strain with pressure. Stir in the sugar as quickly as possible. When dissolved, add the well-beaten egg white(s), stirring constantly, but take off the fire and continue to stir. Lay out on a flat surface. Let cool, and cut into smaller pieces.“ – from Dian Dincin Buchman's book title Herbal Medicine(2017-06-29)