Almonte and District Horticultural Society
Welcome to the Almonte and District Horticultural Society.
Our mission is to promote education and interest in all areas of horticulture and the beautification of our community.
The Society provides a supportive environment for gardeners of all levels by encouraging the use of eco-friendly horticultural practices to promote the production of food and the conservation of our environment.
Volunteer members plant and maintain public gardens in Almonte including the Almonte Cenotaph, the Almonte Library Garden including Albert’s Garden, Peace Park, the Almonte Downtown Barrels and Urns, the Almonte Arena Bed, the Veteran’s Memorial Walkway and two pots beside the bench at the front of the Almonte Legion.
Under the auspices of the Mississippi Mills Beautification Committee and with the co-operation of the Pakenham Horticultural Society, the Society selects the "Yard of the Week". Members volunteer their time to select entries, photograph them, prepare gift bags for the winner and submit the winning entry to the Canadian Gazette.
Member Benefits include:
- Annual plant sale offerings of vegetables and flowers at discount prices;
- Member discounts from numerous local businesses;
- Expert guest speakers at monthly meetings;
- Networking with Lanark County Master Gardeners;
- Social hours following each meeting to meet your colleagues and share experiences;
- A monthly newsletter, The Garden Grapevine, to keep you informed of gardening events and advice;
- Field trips, garden tours and flower shows;
- Pot luck suppers in August and November;
- Access to the benefits of the Ontario Horticultural Association (gardenontario.org) and ;
- Raffles and door prizes.
The annual membership fee is $10. Guests are welcome to a meeting free of charge with a $2 charge at subsequent meetings.
Registration is accepted at the January meeting and throughout the year.
Meetings: Cornerstone Community Church, Almonte
Fourth Monday of the month (except July and December) at 7:30 pm