Acton Horticultural Society
FROM THE ARCHIVES OF THE ACTON LIBRARY
Research by: Jean Somerville
The Acton Horticultural Society was originally begun in 1918 to help local homeowners grow plants during World War 1. During the early years members shared plants and information to provide not only food, but to beautify the town as well.
The current version of our society has been active since 1988. In addition to monthly speakers, planting downtown planters, holding an annual plant sale, conducting garden contests, tours and other educational endeavors. Our tenth anniversary and Millennium project is the revitalization of the area adjacent to the Acton Public Library-our “Memory Garden”.
It was back in 1999 when the above was printed in our newsletter. We have since completed the project and have undertaken several more very ambitious projects. The picture on this page is from one of those projects.
We invite anyone interested in Horticulture to attend our monthly meetings held the 3rd Tues of the month (Sept to June) @ 7:30 pm at the Knox Presbyterian Church, 44 Main St., Acton (back entrance).
Submitted by: Susan Allen
Copied from September, 1998 Newsletter
For more information e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org